President’s Day 2019: How Does the White House Compare to the Average Home?
In the spirit of President’s Day we can use data from the 2018 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers to see how the typical home differs from the White House.
Typical Home Purchased in the U.S.
- 86% of buyers purchased a previously owned home, with 82% of buyers choosing a detached single-family home.
- Looking by first-time and repeat buyers, both also purchased detached single-family homes more often with 80% of first-time buyers and 83% of repeat buyers.
- 51% of all buyers purchased their home in a suburb/subdivision.
- The typical detached single-family home purchased was 1,980 square feet.
- Recent homes purchased also had a median of 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and were built in 1991.
- Among all buyers, the expected length of tenure in the home purchased was 15 years.
The White House
- The White House was built in 1792, and in comparison is located in an urban or central area.
- The White House contains 6 levels, has 132 rooms, including 35 bathrooms.
- It also includes features such as: a tennis court, jogging track, swimming pool, billiard room, movie theatre, and bowling alley.
- While the median expected tenure in a home lasts around 15 years, in the White House the expected tenure is between 4 and 8 years.
For more information on this data check out the President’s Day Infographic and the 2018 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers.